People ask me all the time how I eat so healthy, consistently. Even on my bad days, I don’t really go too crazy, unless I’m forced to eat out at every meal. Even then, I try to make mostly good choices — about 80% of the time. The key, for me, is finding healthier substitutions for foods I love that aren’t great for me. And planning is a must.
- Cauliflower can really sub for almost any starchy dish: Mashed, riced, or otherwise, cauliflower is a delicious, low-carb, and low-calorie alternative. Store bought or home made, the choice is totally up to you!
- Almond milk: I’ve used it so long that I’ve come to prefer it to actual dairy. Anytime something calls for milk, I grab the almond milk.
- Greek yogurt: I love this alternative to traditional dairy.
- Add to your tacos instead of sour cream
- Sub for typical yogurt
- It’s even good in baking (see muffins recipe above)
- Protein powder: Grab your favorite protein powder and you can make just about anything taste good.
- Avocado: Such a versatile and healthy fat.
- Use it on a sandwich instead of your mayo.
- Avocado toast is one of my faves. Make it the star of the dish.
- Zoodles, swoodles, and squoodles, oh my!: Sub any vegetable noodles for pasta.
- Veggie fries/chips:
- Zuchinni, sweet potatoes, and parsnips can make great fries.
- Kale and cauliflower make great chips.
Not everything you love has to be bad for your body. Stop punishing yourself and experiment! You might find foods you prefer to the bad stuff. Once you start, you might find yourself in a new, healthier lifestyle — on accident! 🙂
Thanks for reading! Xo.